Sunday, November 4, 2007

Whatever happened to predictability? The milkman? The paperboy?

This is getting a little ridiculous... for the second Sunday in a row, the yoga class I normally go to has been totally full! Today the teacher was turning people away! One girl looked more upset than I was, so you know it was a major situation. I didn't stick around to see what would happen.

I headed for home and on my way I ran into the woman whose two kids I used to babysit. Her son, age 22, is hitchhiking through Mexico after graduating from the University of Wisconsin and going on an anti-war hunger strike for 10 days in Pittsburgh. Her daughter, age 17, is taking book art classes and working at a bedding store after graduating from an alternative high school. Although those seem like normal adolescent behaviors to me, I guess those things are hard for a mom to accept, even if the mom is an artist who rides a bike. But I didn't really know what to say besides, "it's normal that you wish you could go to Mexico and find S., but you know you need to give him space, right?" I mean, that's just how life goes! One day you have some babies and on another day you realize that they're whole people with separate lives than yours.

Anyway, despite the fact that my encounter with her kind of bummed me out, this weekend and week have been pretty rad in general. I feel like I finally have more "me time," and also kind of like I semi-know what I'm doing. Maybe saying "I don't know what I'm doing" enough times just automatically starts to give you ideas. But also I think the 100% best treatment for my freaking out has been hanging out with people (friends, etc.) who are inspiring, caring, and awesome. I know this is just about the corniest thing in the world that I could say, and maybe it sounds like I just went to a Sri Chinmoy seminar, but it is so true.

Everywhere you look! ahhhh ahhh ahhhhhhh... Everywhere you look! shoo ba doo bop ba daaaaaaa!

No comments: