Monday, November 12, 2007

Hateration (interlude)

Oh man. today I had the worst meeting ever with one of my students. I know I should not be discussing these matters in a semi-public zone but I can't help it! I basically forced this student to meet with me, because she never participates in class, she never comes to my office hours, and when I have the students do in-class writing she writes two sentences and then just sits there.

I've had shy students before. But this girl, she isn't shy -- she just doesn't care. She does not care. I said to her, "your work suggests that you aren't very invested in this class. Is that the case?" She just shrugged. I said, "your lack of participation is ultimately going to effect your grade." She shrugged again.

I just don't understand how you can get to be 18 or 19 years old and not know when to fake it. I don't mean "fake it" like the way that we're all "performing identity" everyday, I mean fake interest, fake a smile, fake a "what I want to work on this semester" paragraph. Just pretend you're something more than an overprivileged, overeducated waste of space. I bet the students at LACC or Erie Community College know how to fake it pretty well -- and they might even be psyched to take a class at an Ivy League school, who knows -- so why can't you?

No comments: