Thursday, September 20, 2007

Like robot eyes and burl art

After my dad told me he'd googled me (his defense: "I google everyone now!") I stopped feeling bad about looking up people I shouldn't really be curious about. So, earlier this week I googled my late 90s/early 00s-era ex. I see him from time to time because he goes to my university, but I guess I was wondering what the rest of the world thought of him. I already knew that there are like 12 other guys with his name (including an ex-member of Mannheim Steamroller), but what I didn't know was that there's another guy with his name who (also) lives in Brooklyn and (also) writes for an obscure magazine.

But the weirdest part is, there was a picture of the name-alike on the column, and even though I totally knew that the picture wasn't of my ex -- they were both white, with dirty blond hair, but no other resemblance -- I couldn't quite believe it. I kept looking at the picture trying to recognize it! It was pretty uncanny.

In other news, my students in the class I teach (not the class I T.A.) have been calling me either "Professor" or "Miss" in emails. I told them to call me "Zoe," I swear! If I tell them not to call me "Miss," I guess I have to tell them they shouldn't really call me "Professor" either, right?

No comments: