Tuesday, December 11, 2007

If I'm paying for a llama I want to see that llama.

Today was the last day of classes for the semester -- now I just have to finish some projects and grade a bunch of other ones. This leaves me time to think about... the holidays.

My family is a constant source of Christmas drama. We used to play Scrabble, but then one time my brother told my sister N. that she was taking too long to make a play, she thought he was antagonizing her and stormed off, and they didn't talk for almost a year!

We can't really have conversations about products or food, because my sister E. is active in the politics of veganism and boycotting China and she gets worked up.

My mother got tired of cooking every year, so she started getting dinner catered. Then last year N. decided she wanted to host, and she freaked out that she hadn't made enough food, decided to make brussels sprouts and burnt them -- three fire trucks came! My mother had to finish cooking.

Everyone used to get really creative about wrapping presents, until we started doing Secret Santa because E. wanted more money left over to donate to various causes (homeless cats, farm families in Peru, etc.). But then last year Secret Santa got kind of embarrassingly elaborate (for example, I got art), and that was the end of that.

This year we have a $30 present limit and we're eating at a restaurant in Brooklyn. If this was a t.v. show, my parents would get some cute foster children.

Wait, here's a good story: yesterday I was driving to Brooklyn with my dad. I was like, "I've never lived in Brooklyn before." He said, "Well, how does that make you feel?" I said, "I don't know. I think I just like saying 'I've never lived in Brooklyn before.'" Then we saw a big Grinch balloon hanging from someone's window. My dad said, "What is that, an alligator dressed as Santa?"

No comments: