Monday, December 17, 2007

Causes/effect

On Thursday I went to a terrible class at the gym called "Weigh Hard Cardio." It was hard and boring. Then I took Mike, Belinda, and Belinda's fiance Aengus to that Pinter play "The Homecoming" -- a present from my dad. During the break Mike saw a guy helping his blind friend pee. I mean, he saw their feet in the stall. He said it was "intimate and nice." Creepy! Then Aengus heard someone say, "When I saw 'Lars and the Real Girl,' I thought: MUSICAL."

On Friday we moved a bunch of stuff to my new apartment and then I took a yoga class. I couldn't really sleep after that, so I stayed up all night packing. On Saturday I went to the library and graded papers at the coffee shop that uses sour cream as salad dressing. For some reason the only food they had was asparagus soup and banana bread, so that's all I ate on Saturday. I stayed up all night on Saturday again.

On Sunday we moved the rest of my stuff and I slipped in the sleet and fell on my butt on the stairs. Then I went uptown to meet the guy who's subletting my apartment. He seemed really lonely -- he is an 30-something who just moved here for school from California, and he seems to both (a) not know anyone and (b) not be capable of entertaining himself. I had told him I was in school and after about a half an hour of awkward "when can I leave" small talk, he was like, "wait, are you in graduate school?" I guess it's flattering, but I sometimes get annoyed when people think I'm an undergraduate! I mean, I do drink lots of water, but I don't think I look that young. (I guess it's lucky that my subletter thinks I'm adorable though -- hopefully this means he won't mind being exploited! Just kidding.)

I came home and made the bed (well, mattress -- I'm not getting my bed frame delivered til later in the week), finished grading all the Film Theory papers and exams, because we had a grading meeting scheduled for this morning, and then I fell asleep surrounded by boxes. This morning I woke up feeling like that corpse in Eastern Promises that washes up on the shore of the Thames. Seriously, I almost had to sit down on the floor of the subway, and then when I got off the subway, I had to sit on a bench on the platform for a few minutes before I could walk to the meeting.

The meeting was good -- the professor just got back from an awards show in China, and showed us tons of pictures -- and then afterwards I went to the Target right by my new place to buy toilet paper and slippers. I was still feeling pretty gross, so I sat down in the "Target Cafe" (which is also a Starbucks) for a little while after I shopped. After a minute, I realized something: everyone around me was retarded. Literally, Target was full of retarded adults.

I walked home and it was so windy. I swear, I have never felt such winds. I got home, put on my slippers, and then fell asleep for the next five hours. When I woke up I was all fevery and confused, and I felt like my entire body was going to fall off. Liza offered to come over and punch me in the face, but I declined because I couldn't imagine getting up to buzz her in. Finally, like an hour later, I forced myself to get up and take some advil and sudafed. I also found vitamin C and some forgotten zinc lozenges in one of my boxes, and then I started to feel better and one of my housemates came home and we watched two hours of "Scrubs" and I ordered Chinese noodles. Now I'm going to sleep.

No comments: