Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Where do I belong?

Tonight I was eating a salad from Angelica's Kitchen To Go, and there was a bright green beetle on one of the pea sprouts. The beetle looked happy and healthy, so I took the beetle and the pea sprout and dumped them out the window, and then I ate the rest of my salad.

As I was eating the salad I thought about how the world is really divided into people who would eat the salad, people who would throw away the salad, and people who would return the salad to the restaurant. I was thinking that I hoped most of my friends would have eaten the salad. Because otherwise, what good are they?

Right then, Eddie called me. I told him about the beetle. He told me that he'd had an experience last year with insect larva on a piece of broccoli from a Chinese restaurant. He threw away the broc and never went back!

I said that while I didn't blame him under the circumstances (worms plus cheap Chinese food), I still thought I made the right choice. I mean, Angelica's uses all organic and local food or whatever. So, chances are, that beetle didn't just hatch from some grubs that were laid on a broccoli stalk that had been sitting in the kitchen for too long. That beetle is probably from somewhere nice, like West Hurley or Ashoken.

Anyway, after that, I felt kind of mixed about eating the salad. I like to think I have the moral edge over the people who would just throw it away, but do I?? Maybe I'm just lazy!

And then I remembered the time that Mrs. Goldsmith made Karen throw her ice cream away at the beginning of science lab, and at the end of lab Kar got it out of the garbage again and kept eating it. That really settled everything for me.

Also, Charlie told me that he heard on the radio that every bottle of water that gets produced uses 1/4 of a bottle worth of crude oil! Even the kind they sell at Starbucks.

1 comment:

Debbie Ribera said...

That totally happened to me too! At Fred's 62!!!!!! But it wasn't a green beetle, it was a strange black jumping bug! And I had just about finished my salad, so I decided I'd forget about eating the rest of it. Does that make me bad???? My friend who I was with was outraged. He talked to the waitress and we didn't have to pay for it. I totally did not tell him to do that, I swear! He got up from the table and found her. His boyfriend is a famous hairstylist, so they are used to the finer things.